I watch crappy movies so you don't have to.

Monday, August 10, 2015

DVD Review for August 11, 2015: HOT PURSUIT and UNFRIENDED

HOT PURSUIT
Rated: PG-13
Stars: Reese Witherspoon, Sofia Vergara, Matthew Del Negro
Plot: A diminutive cop must keep a feisty witness alive so she can testify against a drug kingpin
Trailer

Clint Says: Save some money and see a matinee


When I saw the trailer for HOT PURSUIT I'm pretty sure I let out an audible groan. But, I like to give every film I see the opportunity to be great. I walked into the theater with no preconceived notions of how good or bad it would be, and I walked out fairly happy.

This is by no means a great movie, but it isn't horrible either. It's one of those film where you can see it and enjoy it, but two years from now when it's on TV and you're flipping through the channels you'll turn it on and vaguely recall seeing it.

Sofia Vergara is funny and spicy, but her look changes so much throughout the film it feels like you are watching four different women play her role. Reese Witherspoon plays the straight cop well, but her accent and overbearing personality are truly obnoxious.

If you've seen the other comedies that are out now and are still looking for something funny to see, you might as well give this one a try. It's not going to be one you'll see again and again, but you also won't be upset that you spent a few bucks to rent it.




UNFRIENDED
Rated: R
Stars: Shelley Hennig, Jacob Wysocki, Renee Olstead, Will Peltz, Moses Jacob Storm
Plot: A group of friends are haunted by an evil spirit while they Skype with each other
Trailer

Clint Says: Don't even bother


This may be the lamest excuse for a horror movie I have ever seen. And that is saying something. But one of the reasons I love movies so much is because everyone has their own opinions and taste. As I was walking out of the theater positive I had just witnessed on of the worst movies of 2015, I saw a fellow movie reviewer and friend and asked him what he thought. He said, "It was brilliant! One of the more unique films I've ever seen." It's fascinating how two people can see the same thing in two completely different ways.

I will say that the premise is quite intriguing, but the execution is lacking greatly. Clocking in at only 82 minutes, this film is mercifully short, but it could have been 20 minutes shorter and still accomplished the same thing. It's slow, boring, barely dramatic and even less scary than it is dramatic.

The actors, for the most part, do a fine job in their roles. But there is only so much a person can handle when it comes to six teens screaming at each other on Skype. It was like I had entered the third level of Whiny People Hell.

Honestly, I think the only person in our theater that was even the slightest bit scared was a toddler. (Side note: What kind of idiot brings a toddler to an R-rated horror flick?!) And even that kid only cried twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment