I watch crappy movies so you don't have to.

Friday, September 5, 2014

Movie Review for September 5, 2014

THE IDENTICAL
Rated - PG
Stars: Blake Rayne, Ashley Judd, Ray Liotta
Plot: Identical twins, separated at birth, grow up to lead similar lives.
Trailer

Clint Says: Wait for the DVD and let somebody else rent it


There are a few things that I liked about this film. First, it was filmed almost exclusively in Tennessee using Tennesseans. (You'll recognize War Memorial Auditorium). Second, Ray Liotta does an incredible job in his role. Third, there are very touching and poignant moments throughout the film that adds a level of unexpected emotion. Finally, it is a film that you can watch with the whole family. (Although it will be too slow and too deep for most children under 13).

That all being said, this is just not a good movie. It is slow, it's about 30 minutes too long, the original songs are horribly cheesy, and the plot is jumpy. And I haven't even mention the fact that this movie is basically about what could have happened if Elvis's twin brother had lived.

I don't know if the filmmakers ran into legal trouble with the whole Elvis thing, but Drexel Hemsley is Elvis. He sounds like Elvis, he looks like Elvis, he was born in the poor South with a twin brother like Elvis. For two-thirds of the movie I sat there saying to myself, "this is basically Elvis," then one of the characters starts talking about The Beatles and Elvis. What?

The movie feels and looks like a low-budget, made-for-TV film, and that is probably where it should have been released. I really want to recommend this film, because I want more films to be made in Tennessee, but I can't get there with THE IDENTICAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment